Monday, December 5, 2011

Does it really say that "God will not give you more than you can handle?"

So this is what I'm struggling with.  I've been told for much of my Christian life, over 32 years of my earthly life, that "God won't give you more than you can handle."  People link it to 1 Corinthians 10:30, which goes like this:
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to us all. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
This verse is talking about temptation and God promises a way out of it. Maybe if we are tempted to doubt God's power or His provision, he still gives us an escape route from the temptation.  I'm not reading here, though, that the trials of life are promised to be within what we can handle.  I've been thinking about this for a while, too, since the whole saga of the Volvo started this Summer.  The theory that I'm developing is that He DOES give you more than you are capable of enduring; that he stretches you almost to the breaking point.  Why does he do this? It develops character and brings spiritual growth.  This is where James steps in with his words to REJOICE when we undergo trials.  Why?  Because it produces perseverance and that brings about spiritual maturity and completion.

Matthew West has a song called "Strong Enough" and it's been kind of my theme song the last almost 6 months. He explains the story behind the song as the album that includes the song is all about the stories his fans sent him and it's all about their stories.  You can read about it at http://www.matthewwest.com/2010/09/14/the-story-behind-strong-enough-2/
The song with the lyrics can be found in one Youtube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FYDcvY2lfI
The chorus has the singer asking God to be strong enough for both of them.  He ponders in one of the verses that maybe the point of it all is maybe pushing us to the place where all we have left is to let go and reach out.

I am so blessed with some pretty amazing Godly women in my life.  I sent my mom a text message telling her that I think I'm at the end of my rope and I really needed prayer. I was hugged and prayed over by some of the women in my church family.  I got a very encouraging message from my sister and text messages expressing concern from my BFF.

I DO believe that the Bible is true when it says that everything works out for good to those who love God and are called to His purpose.  I DO believe the words found in the Bible in the book of Jeremiah where God says he has a plan and that the plan is in my best interests (See Jer. 29:11).  I believe that Philippians 4:13 is true and that I can accomplish anything through Christ who gives me the strength.  I even believe Ephesians 3:20 where it says that God is able to blow my mind with what he is capable of doing.  I KNOW these things intellectually and I believe them wholeheartedly.  However, when you're at the end of your rope and you're staring down the throat of a dark abyss and there is NOTHING ELSE YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO, it's an inexplicable experience.  Your survival instinct is fighting SO STINKING HARD to try to find a way out.  Your mind reels through all the possible scenarios. Let go?  Are you freaking kidding me?  This is when God is supposed to show up in a big way.  I've heard about it.  Not just from missionaries and big name preachers.  I have heard about it from living, breathing people in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I can look back over my life and see how God has orchestrated things, but they've been subtle and I can see them in hindsight.  I had no idea what was molding me and shaping my path as I journeyed down it.  Even after the suicide of my birth mother, I didn't feel the helplessness I've been struggling with lately.  I have not had God show up in my life in a HUGE way, like I need him to do so at this juncture of my life.

I've contemplated whether I could LOSE IT ALL.  Jeff and I have each other, we have our families and some great friends.  We could lose the stuff and I think I could still be okay.   I have even wondered if I could lose Jeff and still hold onto my faith.  Considering how long it took for us to find each other, that would be a tough one, but I've told God that I could even hand the love of my life over.  If I knew that was what God wanted, that is. The thing is I DON'T KNOW if that is part of his plan. I'm fighting the instinctual struggle to fight and flee, like a hare caught under the paw of a panther, as if my very life depended on it.

I have had a few moments of "I can be thankful that..." and a whole list of things to follow.  I can be thankful that I'm not facing the impending death of a loved one.  I can be thankful that I haven't been diagnosed with a terminal illness that ravages the body like Cancer. I really do have much to be thankful for, but that doesn't mean this is any less difficult or requires less faith.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know Who holds the future.  That's what I've told myself for many years, so tonight it gets put to the test.  We'll see where the journey goes if I just let go of the rope and fall into the arms of my Heavenly Father.  I can hand it ALL over to Him because in the end, it really does all belong to HIM anyhow.  Hold on, baby, cuz it looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride, but God is Good and I know we'll come out on the other side because of Him.








2 comments:

  1. Thinking about and praying for you. I love that Strong Enough song too. This last year it has been a true blessing to me so many times I've been in the car singing it along with Air 1 with tears running down my face. *giant hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ctkbellingham.com/sermon/lies-part-2-a-lie-in-truths-clothing/

    The sister of Jeff's best friend shared this link with me where one of the pastors from her church spoke on this very topic, calling it a "lie in truth's clothing". In short, he says "God will give us more than we can handle but not more than HE can handle."

    ReplyDelete