Monday, April 9, 2012

Mamavation Monday Post: The Selah moments

Being a clever monkey (at times), I scheduled to take today, the day after Easter, off from work. I loved Easter, but it was like a full workday.
  • 6:00am Arrive at AHS and help unload trailer.  Start setting up the front of house sound equipment
  • 7:15am (we actually started at 7:05am) sound check
  • 8:20 cue-by-cue run through
  • 9:00am First Service (experienced obnoxious feedback from Gabe's mic with the subs)
  • 11:00 am Second Service
  • 12:20 - 12:50 scarf down some lunch: turkey meat, ham, berries, potato salad and Lay's original
  • 1:00pm Third Service
  • 2:20pm Start tear down
  • 3:45pm Leave AHS

Getting up at 5am to get to the school on time is not my favorite plan, but when you're committed to a job you do what has to be done.  I have put my role as the lead for the audio team before anything in my life except God, family or my job, but it's meant less time at the zoo.  I do this because I believe in what we're doing at AHS, what Westside Community Church is doing in our community - helping people find and follow Jesus.  Hearing about lives that are changed and people who are finding healing for the hurts that life has thrown them.  That is what it is all about. Jesus changes lives and makes people whole.

A "Selah moment" is something I get from the book of Psalms in the Bible.  The word "Selah" is seen between passages and the best interpretation is "interlude".  It's a quiet moment to meditate on the previous passage. Today is my Selah and I have had more of a chance to think about this since yesterday. I realize that although I know Jesus has the power to change lives, I don't think I lean on him enough.  While I have found healing from many of the things from my childhood, I still struggle with the messed-up thing I have about food. If I could finally gain victory over that, my weight and my diabetes will likely turn around.  I saw a picture today when I went looking at the Facebook page for myfitnesspal, the app I've been using to track my food, exercise and water.  It said that "It took more than a day to put it on. It will take more than a day to take it off. Move."  It's true for our mindset.  For the better part of 44 years, I have lived with a broken perspective on food and it's not going to change overnight.  I make incremental improvements as time goes along.

This morning, I got on the scale and was surprised.  I thought I'd be up a pound from the other day, but I'm down.  Since I weighed a few days ago, I walked 2 miles at the AHS track with my friends who are a part of the Small Steps group we started and I ran around Sunday with set up, 3 services and teardown.  I sat only during 2 of the sermons and for 20 mins while I ate.  I moved fairly non-stop from 6am to about 4pm.  I attribute the success of being 16 pounds lighter now than when the new year rolled around to keeping track on myfitnesspal, from the incredible support and accountability I get through the Mamavation sistahood and knowing that my friends are going to be waiting for me for our walks with Small Steps.  I shall keep it up...

This post is sponsored by Handi-Foil and hosted by Mamavation – a community dedicated to obesity prevention & weight loss for women and I’m writing this to be entered into a giveaway

6 comments:

  1. Great job Jeanie!! I'm impressed by how busy you are, keep at it girl!!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE a clever monkey :) I often say that I need a weekend to recover from my weekend - especially when there is a holiday involved! Keep it up mama! You are doing great things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need a Selah day from time to time! Congratulations on your total weight loss - you're doing an awesome job! I hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss. You are one busy monkey. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the loss - especially when you didn't think that was going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Oh Oh I so want an interlude, but even the schedules ones are way too busy...

    Nice job on taking time to reflect. I am trying to start doing that as well.

    ReplyDelete