Tuesday, April 3, 2012

#Mamavation Monday

Wow... my first post as a real Mamavation Sista! I'm so excited!!

What is one health lesson you want to teach your kids?

Where to begin... 
The lessons I learned from my mother included stuffing my emotions with food, poor food choices and outrageous portion sizes. I swore as an adult that I would not do that to my kids.

I think that teaching my children that food is fuel and not a reward, consolation or replacement for other things will be the legacy I give them to fight obesity. One of the things that I have observed in my friends that do not struggle with being overweight is their attitude towards food.  For them, it's there, that's it.  When they are hungry, they eat just what they need.  They don't obsess about food between meals and they don't do the constant rationalizing about what they are eating.  This is the perspective I wish for my kids.

I think after food, the next most important thing is movement. I'd like to get to the point where I'm moving more and sitting less so that when I have kids, we can play physically more than sitting and watching TV. As far as video games, they will have active ones like Wii or Kinect or educational ones - educational AND physical will be the goal. 

This post is sponsored by Fitness Made Simple and hosted by Mamavation – a community dedicated to obesity prevention & weight loss for women and I’m writing this to be entered into a giveaway

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about teaching kids not to eat because of emotions, being bored, etc. I do that, and it is something that I don't want to pass on to my kids. I am working hard to change my habits so that I can set a positive example for them to follow :) LOVE the active games - we have a Wii and one of our favorite games to play is Just Dance - we sing, dance, and I sweat my butt off! LOL It's so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the active games too. Luckily, the weather is finally starting to turn nice and the kids can go back outside. I am also working hard to teach my kids that you eat when you are hungry and that food is nurishment and energy and not treats or rewards. It's tough being a Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that has REALLY helped me with my eating disorder is just enjoying the food as I have it. I would obsess over food when I didn't have it and then when I did, I would stuff myself without even thinking about it. When I started to "think and enjoy" what I was eating when it was happening, that really helped. Try it. Be there when you are eating. You feel better after the meal and tend to NOT overeat. It's a freaking miracle.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Sistahood!

    I think that the active part is harder for us than food. Luckily, the weather has finally turned warmer so we can be outside more and MOVING!
    Looking forward to getting to know you!

    wendy @ theweightsover . net

    ReplyDelete