This morning on the way in to work, the radio station was playing testimonies from listeners and there seemed to be a theme that sounded very much like my story. It has had me thinking and you know that leads to blogging....
As horrific as the day we refer to as "9/11" was, the proverbial silver lining is that woke up a lot of Christians that had effectively gone to sleep on the job. I look back over the last 10 years and there has been more growth in my spiritual life and my relationship with my God and with Jesus Christ in that time than in the 22 years prior to that. It reminds me of the saying I've heard many times that goes, "Even if you were the only person alive, God loves you enough that he would have sent his ONLY Son to die just for you." What does that have to do with 9/11? It goes to something the pastors at Westside often say - "God never wastes a pain" In all the sorrow, grief and pain the events of that day have caused since there has been a rejuvenation in the churches in the United States and a rebirth in the hearts of many Christians. How far it spreads is something I don't know because who knows how many missionaries, pastors and other serving hearts stepped up after that and have changed lives.
"Why do bad things happen?"
"Why do BAD things happen to GOOD people?"
"If God is a god of Love, how could he do this?"
I have heard these questions since then as a result of that day, after other disasters and even as a result of the economic landscape. Much of the time, it isn't caused by God but by the actions of others or even our own actions. God doesn't intervene all of the time when tragedy lies in our path because He can see things further down the line than us. He can see the opportunities for growth that comes out of this.
God can even take a global event and make it something very personal. Who would have thought that the death of one of my dearest friends would bring about changes in my heart that opened me up to restoring relationships with friends and family that had seemed lost or would make me open to the love of a man that I never thought would be the one God intended me to marry? If Jeff and I had met a year earlier, I might not have taken the time to look beyond his reserved manners to see the treasure he was. I would have chalked him up as "shy" and just continued storming through life, missing out on the wonderful relationship we have. If I had not realized after my Twink that there is no guarantee for tomorrow and it's critical to let your loved ones know how much they mean to you (or that we need to show a heck of a lot more love, humility, grace, mercy and forgiveness towards everyone), then I would not have the amazing relationships with my sisters and my mom that I do today.
A lot can happen in 10 years ... and there is still time to make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment