Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What are our alternatives?

I got a message on Facebook from a friend and they had a scenario that I commonly run into at the zoo.  Someone sees one of the animals pacing and they're concerned.  I'm glad they're concerned.  I'd be ecstatic if that concern spawned action but that happens very seldom because it seems to always be SEP (Someone Else's Problem).

As I walk around the zoo as either a volunteer or even as a guest, I do spot repetitive behavior.  Rama, one of the bull elephants sways his head and trunk side to side, Tusko (another bull elephant) does this interesting bobble-head action and seeing a moon-walking Polar Bear has been a common sight for years.  It's kind of sad, but animals in captivity often develop these behaviors because they don't have to spend long hours of their days hunting for food or trying not to be killed by a predator.

Many zoos today are incorporating enrichment programs to try to break up the monotony of the animals in their care.  Also, new exhibits are being built to incorporate stimulus for their inhabitants.  Unfortunately, some animals don't have naturalistic habitats or zoos with large enrichment programs but it's not for lack of caring.  The Oregon Zoo is blessed with a community that believes in stepping up as they did for the Bond Measure in 2008.  The Oregon Zoo is also blessed with a volunteer organization that is a one-of-a-kind that creates a different culture with our zoo, putting staff and volunteers side-by-side in caring for the wildlife given to its stewardship.

The Volunteer Enrichment Team at the OZ (many of whom are my friends) was honored with an award at the AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) Annual Conference in 2008. Click HERE for more information.  These are people are do-ers that are heroes!

One of the questions I get asked a lot from guests that observe repetitive behavior is "Why can't they be in the wild?"   In some cases, there is no WILD to send them to as their habitats are disappearing as mankind leaves its footprint around the globe.  Forests in South America are being cut down to make room for cattle farms.  Jungles in Southeast Asia are being cut down to create Palm tree plantations to supply the world with Palm oil.  For some species, animals are on the verge of extinction due to hunting or poaching, such as the Amur Leopards of Northeast Asia.   Then there are the others....

Ever see the "Madagascar" movies?  Remember how Marty, the Zebra, dreamed of "The Wild"?  However, the animals in the movie were captive-bred and raised.  Most of the animals in zoos today were the product of breeding programs. Very few animals actually come from the wild and that is only when there is little other choice.  For example, the Oregon Zoo has 2 Bald Eagles that were permanently injured and would never survive in the wild.  Chendra, an island elephant much smaller genetically than the others of the Oregon Zoo herd, was orphan and blinded as a young elephant - left behind by her familial herd.  She was taken in by a school and eventually made her way to the OZ.  Releasing these animals to the wild would mean certain death.  So where do we put them?

What is the up-side to having animals in zoos?  Ever feel a deep bond with the PICTURE of an animal? I doubt it.  However, I remember spending many days at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle as a little girl.  My grandmother lived a few blocks from it and admission was free... how could we NOT take advantage of it??  Because of the ability to see these animals with my naked eyes, I developed a love for them and I wanted to be a veterinarian.  I never became one, but if I can educate a child or encourage an individual so that they can become active in conservation or in some other way to help animals, I'll have left behind a legacy that warms my heart.  I wonder how many of those today who do participate in conservation programs, species protection, breeding programs and sanctuaries for animals started off going to a zoo when they were a child.  Some species will survive because they are in the zoos and some animals are just ambassadors for animal-kind in the hopes that those who see them will take action.

I challenge you.  Next time you observe behavior in a zoo animal that makes you sad or makes it seem as though the animal is stressed, see if there is anything YOU CAN DO.  Check out some of the links below...

Oregon Zoo Environmental Enrichment - see what kind of enrichment the OZ does!
See what you can do - donate items for enrichment! Oregon Zoo Enrichment Wish List
Become a ZooGuide! http://www.oregonzoo.org/Volunteer/zooguide.htm


For those outside of Oregon, check out your zoo's web site or check out the AZA web site

Globally, look for ways to be good stewards of our planet's resources so we can co-habitate with  wildlife. Learn about consumer products that  can contribute to habitat loss through commercial deforestation for cattle ranching, Palm oil or soybeans and make choices through your buying to support responsible agriculture.  If you're not sure where to look, let me know and I can give you some resources.

[Getting off my soapbox now...]





No comments:

Post a Comment